The Macallan, the world’s ultimate luxury single malt whisky, has unveiled The Macallan 1824 Masters Series featuring two stunning decanters. The range, including Reflexion and No.6, features the finest single malt, 100% sherry seasoned in oak casks. The Macallan’s Master Whisky Maker expertly crafted the whiskies to showcase the signature style of The Macallan and honour the beautiful spectrum of natural colour unique to this exceptional single malt.
Sitting atop Ruby within the current 1824 Series, these striking new decanters, each one magnificent in status and appearance, will carry whisky connoisseurs through the range to the crescendo of M, the halo of the entire series and the world’s most valuable single malt whisky.
This collection of exceptional single malt whiskies becomes increasingly dark and alluring, increasing in complexity as the chosen casks themselves become scarcer and the range progresses from Reflexion to No. 6. This is testament to The Macallan’s Master Whisky Maker’s, Bob Dalgarno, meticulous selection of the most exceptional sherry seasoned oak casks.
Taking inspiration from The Macallan’s iconic triangle and the desire to showcase the whiskies stunning natural colours, the exquisite style and design of each decanter beautifully showcases the peerless spirit which defines The Macallan.
Ken Grier, Director of Malts, Edrington, says: “The new 1824 Masters Series represents an extremely exciting development for The Macallan. The stunning designs and overall imprint of this new collection are not only worthy of some of our most complex and precious single malt whiskies, they celebrate the very foundations that make The Macallan so special – our glorious range of natural colour and the outstanding quality of our casks .”
The Macallan Reflexion (43% ABV, £900) is a reflection of the foremost influence of first fill sherry seasoned oak casks, drawing its colour and flavour from maturation in hogshead casks. These are smaller casks which allow for greater surface area of wood to interact with the spirit to deliver an intricate character driven by the influence of both Spanish and American oak casks.
Sculpted through the inspiration of The Macallan’s iconic triangular shape, Reflexion is a masterpiece both in style and stature. Its exquisite angular facets each reflect the light to showcase the deep red mahogany hue of the whisky within.
The depth of the colour and the complexity of flavour of Reflexion derive from the casks selected for this distinctive expression by the Master Whisky Maker. Bold and full-bodied, Reflexion is a celebration of floral and vanilla notes, punctuated with fresh apples and apricots.
The Macallan No.6 (43% ABV, £2,800) brings together the art of The Macallan Master Whisky Maker with the exquisite craftsmanship of Lalique resulting in a piece of timeless elegance. Exclusively designed and crafted for The Macallan, this flawless crystal decanter pays homage to the single malt’s heritage through its use of triangular facets representing the Six Pillars, incorporating the iconic triangular feature as a key element of its creation.
Silvio Denz, Chairman and CEO of Lalique, says: “Lalique is very proud to have contributed to the exquisite Macallan 1824 Masters Series N°6 Decanter. The angular shape of N°6 with its six facets was the outcome of our head designer’s excellent creativity and the work of Lalique’s master craftsmen. This collaboration reinforces Lalique’s long standing commitment to The Macallan and it has been a pleasure to create No.6, a unique object d’art.”
The classically beautiful Lalique decanter encases complex single malt made using only first fill Spanish sherry oak casks from a single Jerez cooperage. The beautiful design enhances the enticing, rich dark walnut colour of a classic Macallan character, a celebration of richness, spice and dried fruit with a layer of heady orange groves.
The Macallan’s Master of Wood, Stuart MacPherson, says: “Wood sits at the very heart of what we do at The Macallan and this range further demonstrates the vital role of our casks in the production of these superb whiskies. Our commitment to sherry seasoned oak casks is unquestionable and the Masters Series showcases The Macallan at its very best. ”
The Macallan 1824 Masters Series is a stunning collection of whiskies created to showcase the beautiful range of The Macallan’s natural colour. As you move through the collection, each expression becomes increasingly dark and more complex, reflecting the careful selection of exceptional casks. The interaction of spirit and wood alone delivers the beautiful range of rich, natural colours that distinguish The Macallan whiskies.
The Macallan 1824 Masters Series Tasting Notes:
Reflexion – 43% ABV
- Colour: Blood Orange
- Aroma: Orange and citrus fruits open up like fresh fruit on a sunny market day, their zest is fresh, the fruit is firm. A slight waxy note fades to fresh green apples. Then the sweet stall: chocolate, thick fudge, boiled sweets, aniseed; caramel toffees almost overwhelm whilst white chocolate truffles are hidden. Just as you are ready to taste, a delivery of bananas in fresh, sweet oak arrives.
- Taste: Initial light citrus zest with new oak quickly gives way to a juicier sweetness, thick and succulent, of lemon and orange. Raisin, sultana and apple, with a hint of cinnamon and ginger, are subtle. Boiled sweets add balance to a glimpse of toasted oak to give a medium and soft finish.
No.6 – 43% abv
- Colour: Spanish Sunset
- Aroma: Spanish oak casks deliver wonderful rich notes, elegant and polished. Raisin, dates and figs dominate like a mountain of fruit; sultana and toffee apples add texture and depth. The weight of flavour practically squeezes the juice from the raisins, dark and rich with great viscosity. Ginger and cinnamon gently dance around the edges – the ginger slightly dry, the cinnamon soft. Dark chocolate is majestic, whilst vanilla sweetness lingers in the background.
- Taste: Heavy and sumptuous. Like a rich fruit cake with raisin, dates and figs, apples, sultanas, orange; then ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and hints of clove. Oak notes are like velvet, soft and chic, silky smooth, this is a cake to savour with a long and full.
M – 44.7% ABV
- Colour: Rosewood
- Aroma: Dried fruits ripen, then soften showing off a velvet sateen. Vanilla accompanies green apple hand in hand neither taking the lead. Ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon create an ensemble in the background, with polished oak offering to overstate yet never does but plays with depths of resinous, juicy oranges.
- Taste: Opens rich in wood spices slowly showing all their viscosity. Wood smoke flits in and out. The heavier raisin and sultana flavours then take over, meandering to a long, full finish.